Worn to: Anime North 2012 (Toronto, ON) Otakuthon 2012 (Montréal, QC)
Cost to make: $80
I did most of the work on this cosplay and even made the prop - the hook.
What I didn't do: the gloves, wig, shirt, and boots.
Fabric for pants & jacket: Rayon suiting
The pants pattern was referenced from a Simplicity pattern. I made it to fit my boyfriend specifically.
The jacket was another matter. The pattern was drafted completely from scratch to match with the sewing lines on the jacket. The strap detail was tacked to it. The jacket is mostly lined.
The silver cuffs on the jacket are made of bridal satin and are partially machine-sewn, and partially hand-sewn.
The black pieces on the jacket were made of a type of stretch satin-pleather material which frayed like mad.
All of the grommets are hammered into the appropriate places. There's about as much hand-sewing on this as there is machine sewing.
The hook is made of wood and was made the day before Anime North. I made the pattern using a picture reference, cut it out on the scroll saw and did the angled part on the scroll saw as well. I sanded it and then painted the hook part. The handle was painted gold, and then toned down a bit using cashmere beige to make it seem a bit rusted. Details were done Copic Markers and the writing matches the art exactly. The cord is attached with hot glue inside a drilled hole. The other end of the cord is tied to a hook that goes up my boyfriend's sleeve and attaches to the tag of his shirt so that it stays in place. This way, it remains how it's supposed to be. Though I may have made the cord a bit too long - but it works for photos.